Saturday, August 15, 2026

Hunting Bongo

The kudu is the world's third largest antelope species behind the eland & bongo.

The bongo & eland are the only tragelaphines in which both sexes have horns.

Elands prefer to have sex segregated herds and bongos prefer harems.

The lowland bongo has been caught on camera in Uganda for the first time.

The ecological importance of bongos is not fully understood.

After years of poaching, it's estimated that the bongo could be extinct within two decades.

The last time I took a bongo hunt, the air charter from Douala, split 4 ways, was $US 5000 EACH PERSON, & that was 20 years ago.

I quizzed my French PH about the forest as a bongo will be in my future. I am sure the experience of hunting in a rain forest with dogs would be great.

Having hunted bongo two times, & eland once, they are polar opposite hunts.

I have taken both & found them worthy hunts. A go at bongo would top my list.

For me it’s a no brainer! Bongo would be my top spiral horn.

No comments: