Tuesday, April 11, 2006

An ibis

prowls the
pathways
of the private
hospital.

*

If I was doing this post as live to air radio, it would not be appearing. I had the last of my teeth taken out this morning, my mouth has only just cleared of blood, the anaesthetic has worn off so I can move my lips, the painkillers have kicked in. I'm bearing it, but I can't grin about it.

*

I now have teeth that gleam like a Bollywood star's. Pity about the rest of me, plus I can't sing, can't dance.

*

I chip away at my writer's block. Carrera marble.

*

This morning, as I brushed my teeth, I thought about the Borges poem that begins
Of all those streets that wander to the west,
there must be one (I do not know which one)
which unawares I have walked down for a last
indifferent timeā€¦..

*

I dream of solid food.

*

Actuality.
Two antibiotics.
Two painkillers.
Washed down with a nice glass of salt water.

*

Gummy bears.

*

Where are you Hannibal Lector, now that I have need of you?

4 Comments:

Blogger Okir said...

I congratulate you on your new set of beautiful bionic choppers, and hope you feel better soon.

8:58 AM  
Blogger richard lopez said...

dr lector methinks has gone hollywood and will only eat the flesh from nubile starlets sans the chianti, but will stoop now and again to swill a chilled flask of cristal

had a series of surgeries a couple of years ago to halt the retreat of my gums

a toast to yr choppers!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Tom Beckett said...

fava beans are quite delectable and easy to chew.

but you know that, don't you?

ha, ha, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

You'll now be able to sing 'fangs for the memory', with feeling, I guess.
All the best, Jill.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home